Y’all have been asking us for MONTHS and the time is finally here! From today until May 19th, we’ll be accepting apps to join the SPARKteam. We are looking for:
- girls (including trans girls!) between the ages of 13 and 22
- who are into blogging, activism, and organizing
- who want to join a team of activists making local and national change
- who are located anywhere on this beautiful earth
- who have 15-25 hours a month to dedicate to the cause
We can offer you:
- A supportive environment of girls and women who love to collaborate, communicate ideas and support each other.
- The chance to learn how to plan and execute both local and national activist campaigns.
- Writing experience! You’ll be a published blogger with a repertoire of online work.
- Online trainings and workshops to help you hone your feminist knowledge.
- Real and valuable experience in the world of activism.
- The opportunity to make your voice heard through media appearances, speaking engagements, and more—SPARK girls have given TED talks, testified at the UN, and been on Nick News, among other things.
- Money! We pay $25 per blog/action.
Click through for deets & to apply!
Applications close TOMORROW, y’all! Send yours in!
I’ve met so many rad girls (including our diarist Britney) through Spark!; this is a great and fun program for any budding activists or journalists out there. -AA
If you just don’t care, that’s fine—that’s your choice—but understand this: I know you think you’re being transgressive and edgy and bad-in-the-cool-way when you are careless with the trauma of strangers, but you’re not. You are being conservative. You are a conservative comedian. You are moving your art form backwards, you are a bully (a bully who has likely experienced bullying himself, which is the worst kind), and you are propping up the status quo in the most boring way possible. If that’s what you want, at least have the grace to own it.
Comedy and social responsibility are not mutually exclusive. Comedy and empathy are not enemies. And no subject matters or words are off limits, in the abstract. (Though, as I’ve written before, I’m pretty sure there are literally hundreds of things to joke about that don’t involve the violent invasion of my vagina!) You do not have to stop talking about rape. I’ve made my feelings clear on that matter and won’t be wasting much time on specifics here. You do not have to stop talking about your bitchy ex-girlfriend. You do not have to stop talking about race or class or midgets or whatever the fuck you think is worth talking about (though you should probably stop talking about midgets, seriously). But you do have to live with the consequences of what you say, and how your words color people’s perceptions of what kind of human being you are. If you do nothing but shower your audiences with hate and garbage, they’re going to start thinking of you as a hate and garbage machine.
i will wade out by e.e. cummings
i will wade out
till my thighs are steeped in burning flowers
I will take the sun in my mouth
and leap into the ripe air
with closed eyes
to dash against darkness
in the sleeping curves of my body
Shall enter fingers of smooth mastery
with chasteness of sea-girls
Will i complete the mystery
of my flesh
I will rise
After a thousand years
And set my teeth in the silver of the moon